Who wants to spend a perfect Sunday in Athens? While millions of people dream of doing something like this, only a lucky few get to enjoy the beauty of this Greek city.
When a city has a history older than a million Sundays, it is never easy to choose how to spend the day. We have a few ideas which could make it a special day to remember. Sundays are best spent lazing around, so take it easy.
- If you are curious about the Greek Orthodox Church and how it differs from the one back home, attend the Sunday mass. Greeks attend church between 7:00 and 10:00 a.m. Apart from religious experience, many of these churches are also historically significant. Ancient Greek temples and their ruins have been the foundations for the building of those churches.
- Monastiraki Flea Market is famous among European travellers because of its colourful nature. The market is open till noon and is filled with fascinating items on sale. Look closely, and you might even find your next centrepiece!
- Enjoy free entry to monuments and museums. Some archaeological sites have free admission on every first Sunday from 1 November to 31 March. Check the Ministry of Culture website for the full list.
- Go on Island Hopping with a reputed cruise company like Athens day cruise. The Saronic Gulf has several beautiful islands. Hop on Athens Day Cruise and enjoy the beauty of Aegina, Poros and Hydra. Aegina is famous for its historical sites, Hydra for its picturesque locale, and Poros for its beautiful beaches. As the ship cruises through the Aegean Sea, sit back and work on your tan or learn a few steps of the traditional Greek dance.
- To end the perfect Sunday in Athens, take a walk in the quiet cobbled streets of Plaka or sip on ouzo in one of the city restaurants